Philip Spinosa is an experienced leader who served on the Memphis City Council, representing Super District 9. While on the Council from 2015 to 2017, he focused on public safety and economic development and served on various committees to pass critical legislation. Some examples of Philip’s accomplishments and hard work are evident through the following achievements, volunteer work, and areas of focus:
Neighborhood Sentinel Program - This legislation was sponsored and created by Councilman Spinosa while in office. It has led to hundreds of SkyCop cameras being placed in high-crime neighborhoods that wouldn’t be there without his leadership in creating this legislation. The Shelby County Commission reached out to Councilman Spinosa and replicated this legislation on the County side as well.
- Addressing Homelessness - Hospitality Hub: Councilman Spinosa worked closely with the Hospitality Hub’s leadership group to help them transition from a non-profit group to a civic institution. Councilman Spinosa spearheaded the development of an app that would allow citizens to help homeless individuals in real time. If elected, he plans to continue his efforts to help end homelessness in Memphis. Philip ardently supports he Hospitality Hub which uses a holistic approach to help individuals transition out of homelessness.
- Panhandling Ordinance for public safety in intersections, businesses, and neighborhoods
- False Alarm Ordinance to reduce false alarms and stop tying up police resources.
- CPTED (Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design) work with various city leaders and citizens
- Spearheaded LED Streetlight implementation to improve lighting in the city to reduce crime.
- Organized “Feed The Children” event hosted at Tiger Lane.
Philip’s professional life started with a 15+ year career at FedEx. Philip steadily rose through the ranks at FedEx before reaching an Executive Leadership position in Sales.
Halfway through his term on the City Council, in April of 2018, Philip was recruited by Phil Trenary (along with other business/civic leaders) to bring his knowledge and skills to the Greater Memphis Chamber of Commerce. Though it meant leaving the Council, Philip gratefully accepted the offer which would allow him to support his family while working 100% of his time to the city he loves. As Senior Vice President of the Chairman’s Circle, increased this elite tier of membership by over 40% during his tenure. He helped the Chairman’s Circle to focus more strategically on existing “Moon Missions” while using his political experience to build bridges and craft legislation with local, state, and federal government bodies. He was part of the effort to improve minority business receipts and played a key role in creating and launching the “Move Your Money to Memphis” campaign.
Winding down his work for the Chamber, Philip started his own business, Prestigious Logistics, in 2019. His boutique logistics and freight brokerage firm, based right here in Memphis, TN. has been fortunate to experience continued annual growth and is slated to celebrate 4 years of business operations in 2023. Philip is forever grateful to the citizens of Memphis, his customers, business partners, employees, and friends for their support of his business and each other.
Committed to his community, Philip currently serves on the boards of St. Francis Hospital/Tenet Healthcare, Epicenter Memphis, Make-A-Wish Mid-South, and Christian Brothers Alumni. He most recently finished a 4-year term on the Levitt Shell Board. Philip worships with his family at St. Michael’s Catholic Church on Summer Avenue, and Philip is an active member of the St. Michael’s Catholic Church men's club.
Philip and his wife, Sarah, have two sons and love to cook and travel together. In his free time, Philip enjoys playing basketball, golf, tennis, and coaching his kids' basketball and football teams, traveling on family trips, and volunteering at St. Michael’s Church.